Single Post

What did you read/watch over Spring Break?

Posted on June 8, 2015 by

Library Director Erin Twohig: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng begins eerily with the following, “Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet…” From that point I was hooked! This is a gripping novel about love, loss, belonging, and how life unravels for a Chinese-American family in small-town Ohio.”   Assistant Controller Rachel Weinstock: “I finally read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. While I loved the character development and details of the antiques business, I wish it was edited with a heavy hand. Still a great read!” Registrar Judith Merritt: “I watched the movie Tracks…the true story of a woman’s journey, walking across the desert of Australia with her beloved dog and camels. Her tenacity is amazing, facing the elements and dangers of the journey. The interesting characters she encounters along the way, the relentless and beautiful landscape, and the dangers ever lurking provide a great backdrop for her story. Similar to the movie Wild, it is wonderful to see the portrayal of such a willful, strong woman. Highly recommend it.” Head of School Robert Henderson Jr. ’76: “A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain, by Marc Morris. This biography of Edward I, the remarkable medieval king of England, reads like a real life Game of Thrones.” “Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I, by Charles Spencer. The author is the brother of the late Princess Diana and a descendent of England’s Charles I. This is the riveting story of the ultimate fate of the Puritan rebels who tried and executed Charles I after the English Civil War of the 1640’s.” “Watching You, by Michael Robotham. Robotham, an Australian, is my favorite mystery writer. His “detective” is a psychologist, named Joe O’Loughlin, living in England, who specializes in criminal behavior.  This is a series (there are seven now) that is tightly written and thrilling.” Mariama-Alexis Camara ’17: “The 100” (on Netflix and cable TV) “This is a great show filled with romance, action, and adventure that’s set 97 years in the future about teenagers who were sent from their spaceship home back to Earth to see if it was viable after the nuclear apocalypse.” “Pretty Little Liars” (on Netflix and cable TV) “This show is full of mystery and teen romance, and there’s a curveball at every turn.” The Elite by Kierra Cass “This is a great book about competition, romance, and choosing between what’s easy and what’s right.” English Teacher Chris Burr: “Saw The Imitation Game on a plane and thought it was the best movie I’ve seen since American Sniper.” English Teacher Julia Russell: All the Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doer was wonderful company in Cambodia and Vietnam.”   Librarian Talya Sokoll: Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver was a twisted, surprising, highly enjoyable novel about two sisters trying to rebuild their relationship. The shocking twists just kept coming and the ending was spectacular and unexpected.”   Sarah Toubman ‘ 15: “I finished watching the show “Alias” over break. It’s a highly intriguing crime procedural, but also examines family relationships in a new context, and incorporates some elements of science fiction.” Director of Academic Support Gia Batty: “Bloodline” (on Netflix) “I’m almost halfway through this new series starring Kevin Chandler (Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights!), Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek. It’s a family drama/thriller set in the Florida Keys. The black sheep son of the Rayburn family returns home and all hell breaks loose. It’s great.” Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie “I’ve been meaning to read this since it came out last year. Adichie’s novel follows Ifemelu, a young Nigerian woman who leaves her country to study in America. Adichie weaves stories of Ifemelu’s struggles to understand and adapt to American culture, her relationships with various men, and of writing for her blog (entitled “Raceteenth or Various Observations About American Blacks (Those Formerly Known as Negroes) by a Non-American Black).  It’s smart, funny, and genuine, and her perspective on race and racism in America gave me so much to think about.” We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates “This has been on my “book bucket list” for almost 10 years and it was totally worth the time it took to read it.  It’s long (450 pages/ 24 hours listening time).  A typical Oates family drama set in a small town in upstate New York, the Mulvaneys had it all and then lose it all and then piece it back together. The writing is beautiful, the setting is dreamy, and the characters are memorable.  I loved her description of the old farmhouse at High Point Farm with it’s old pine floors, the pile of wood for the stove, Mrs Mulvaney’s collection of antiques in the barn. I loved it.” Science Teacher David Strasburger: The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton “So amusing, so painful, and so beautifully written — kind of a “Bonfire of the Vanities” for the gilded age.” Annika Harrington ’18: “I read Champion by Marie Lu, the third book in the Legend trilogy. Often times the last book is really disappointing and has a terrible ending to a great series, but Champion summed the Legend trilogy up really nicely. The book was action packed with a hint of romance that kept it interesting without making it too mushy. The characters had emotions and weaknesses along with their strengths, and the ending was both tragic and satisfying. I enjoyed every page.” Math Teacher Nick Nickerson: “The two best books I read over spring break were– Still Alice by Lisa Genova – beautifully written account of early onset Alzheimer’s disease; the main character’s speech near the end of the book should be read by anyone who has an aging parent Looking for Alaska by John Green – another poignant, funny/sad look into teen life at a boarding school. Full of large eternal truths, yet treats life’s smaller moments with honesty.” Science Teacher Chris Averill: “The Fires Seekers by Richard Farr – It is a great read similar to The DaVinci Code but with some elements of science fiction thrown in.” Max Keating ’17: “I reread American Sniper, the autobiography of one of the greatest heroes and Navy SEALs of all time-Chris Kyle. I thoroughly enjoyed Kyle’s feelings and account on the events he witnessed first hand in Iraq, his true patriotism and love for the greatest country in the world, which we are so lucky to live in, and his obvious dedication to freedom.” Classics Teacher Mark Harrington: “‘Bomb Girls’, the series — currently on Netflix – 18 episodes, plus a 90 min. final episode to close it out. Women in Canada, World War 2, who are working in the bomb factory while the men are overseas.” Bookstore Manager Amy McHugh: Big Little Lies by Liane Moray “This book was based on how three women who are brought together through events at an elementary school with their children. It demonstrates not only dealing with issues in the school (bullying and even parent bullying) but also how these three moms come together for one another. Their home lives are completely different but the bond of motherhood guides them through crazy twists and turns!” I also just read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.It’s amazing how people’s lives intercept and how everyone is truly connected. Suspense and many questions and scenarios leave you thinking. Honestly I did not see the end of this book coming. I’m still not t sure who what and why, but it was a page turner. Mystery/fiction/ and abuse all occur in the book. I recommend it!!” Medhanit Felleke ’17 “This past break I read The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. It’s about the apocalypse after aliens came and are currently eradicating the human race, but they’re sort of taking their time with it. There’s a lot of survivor ideology and the psychology of feeling alone, it’s all really cool. A movie is coming out soon, so that should be incentive enough to pick it up, it’s much better than I just described. I also started watching “Scandal,” after the repeated recommendations from a friend, and I’m so glad I started it. Shonda Rhimes is a genius and the show is so good. True to the name, there are scandals at every corner, but that’s what makes it so good! Something is always going on. I strongly recommend it, the first 3 seasons are on Netflix.” Librarian Emily Tragert “This break I read all 4 volumes of Saga, an amazing graphic novel series about two soldiers from opposite sides of an intergalactic war who fall in love and have a daughter. The comic follows their family’s life on the run from the powers that be, along with the stories of kings and queens, bounty hunters, orphans, ghosts and many others who get swept up in their lives. It’s an engrossing story about family, war and love that would appeal to fans of Star Wars, Game of Thrones and classic comic books.

Filed under Uncategorized